NOTE: the sections below are drafts, and have been seriously revised and edited for the final version of the book. They remain available, pending a complete update of this website, as a “teaser” and to provide inspiration for further reading. If you have any comments, please refer only to the final version (as available in the paperback or e-book): some of your questions may have been already answered.
B. Fighting unbelievers
C. Looting, stealing and plundering
E. War, murder, violence
Torture of prisoners
Responding to violence
Armed defence of places of worship
F. Pedophilia, forced marriage, rape
I. Relations with unbelievers
J. Slavery, slave trade, forced sex
L. Suicide missions
M. Quranic reform
N. Democracy/ law
P. Respect for women, divorce
Q. Religious taxing
R. Art and music
S. Camel urine… as medicine?
T. Respecting other religions
This is a (non-exhaustive) list of quotes from Islamic texts that are incompatible with modern Western culture.
I found most of the quotes below on the website of “TheReligionOfPeace.com (TROP)” and “jihadwatch.org”, then cross-checked them with free online collections like hadithcollection.com and quran.com/ or muflihun.com. In some instances I provide only a short interpretation because the original text can be quite long and there is some redundancy. Feel free to read the original sources and form your own opinion. I apologise sincerely if I forgot to specify a source or reference during the editing process, and will correct it as soon as possible if you send me the necessary information.
There are three main sources used in this text regarding the ideology of Islam:
- the Quran
- the Hadiths (mainly from the books by Ibn Ishak and al Bukhari)
- Islamic Law (mainly based on the book “ The reliance of the traveller”: this book is very hard to find online, but can be ordered on Amazon).
Most Hadiths in this list are considered reliable (“sahih”, meaning “authentic and beyond doubt”, or “hasan”, meaning “more doubtful but good enough to serve as religious evidence”) by mainstream schools of Islam; if they are not this is noted. For more background on the difference between these texts, see the chapter on “background information”.
You’ll find many Quranic verses and Hadiths that are not referenced to in the main text of this booklet. I have added these sources here to prove that we have in fact only seen the tip of the iceberg and to provide inspiration for further reading.
- Quran (24. 2) – “The woman and the man guilty of illegal sexual intercourse, flog each of them with a hundred stripes. Let not pity withhold you in their case, in a punishment prescribed by Allah, if you believe in Allah and the Last Day. And let a party of the believers witness their punishment. “ Note: if the adulterers were married, the punishment is stoning (see below).
- Sahih Muslim (17:4192) – (…) Verily Allah has ordained a way for them (the women who commit fornication): (When) a married man (commits adultery) with a married woman, and an unmarried male with an unmarried woman, then in case of married (persons) there is (a punishment) of one hundred lashes and then stoning (to death). And in case of unmarried persons, (the punishment) is one hundred lashes and exile for one year.
- Sahih Muslim (17:4196)- In this charming tale, Muhammad orders the stoning of an adulterer. Note: this is a “Sahih” Hadith, meaning “authentic”. In other words: “mainstream” muslims believe and accept that muhammad ordered the execution of a fellow human being for cheating on her husband, and are -apparently – perfectly okay with that – Abu Huraira reported that a person from amongst the Muslims came to Allah’s Messenger (Peace be upon him) while he was in the mosque. He called him saying: Allah’s Messenger. I have committed adultery. He (the Holy Prophet) turned away from him, He (again) came round facing him and said to him: Allah’s Messenger, I have committed adultery. He (the Holy Prophet) turned away until he did that four times, and as he testified four times against his own self, Allah’s Messenger (Peace be upon him) called him and said: Are you mad? He said: No. He (again) said: Are you married? He said: Yes. Thereupon Allah’s Messenger (Peace be upon him) said: Take him and stone him. Ibn Shihab (one of the narrators) said: One who had heard Jabir b. ‘Abdullah saying this informed me thus: I was one of those who stoned him. We stoned him at the place of prayer (either that of ‘Id or a funeral). When the stones hurt him, he ran away. We caught him in the Harra and stoned him (to death).
- Ibn Ishaq (970) – “The adulterer must be stoned.” (from a speech by Muhammad)
- Sahih Bukhari (6:60:79): Muhammad orders the stoning of two (Jewish) lovers. (note: ar-Rajm means stoning). Original text: Narrated ‘Abdullah bin Umar:The Jews brought to the Prophet a man and a woman from among them who had committed illegal sexual intercourse. The Prophet said to them, “How do you usually punish the one amongst you who has committed illegal sexual intercourse?” They replied, “We blacken their faces with coal and beat them,” He said, “Don’t you find the order of Ar-Rajm (i.e. stoning to death) in the Torah?” They replied, “We do not find anything in it.” ‘Abdullah bin Salam (after hearing this conversation) said to them. “You have told a lie! Bring here the Torah and recite it if you are truthful.” (So the Jews brought the Torah). And the religious teacher who was teaching it to them, put his hand over the Verse of Ar-Rajm and started reading what was written above and below the place hidden with his hand, but he did not read the Verse of Ar-Rajm. ‘Abdullah bin Salam removed his (i.e. the teacher’s) hand from the Verse of Ar-Rajm and said, “What is this?” So when the Jews saw that Verse, they said, “This is the Verse of Ar-Rajm.” So the Prophet ordered the two adulterers to be stoned to death, and they were stoned to death near the place where biers used to be placed near the Mosque. I saw her companion (i.e. the adulterer) bowing over her so as to protect her from the stones.
- Islamic Law – “The stone shall not be so big so as to kill the person by one or two strikes, neither shall it be so small that it cannot be called a stone” The idea is that the victim should suffer before succumbing. (source: thereligionofpeace.com)
B. Fighting unbelievers
- Quran (8:39) “And fight them until there is no more persecution and religion is only for Allah”
- Quran (9:29) – “Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.” Note: “People of the Book” are accepted to be Christians and Jews in mainstream Islam.
- Qur’an (8:69) – “So enjoy what you took as booty; the spoils are lawful and good.” also: Ibn Ishaq (327) – “Allah made booty lawful and good. He used it to incite the Muslims to unity of purpose. So enjoy what you have captured.
- Quran (33:27) – “And He caused you to inherit their land and their houses and their wealth, and land ye have not trodden. Allah is ever Able to do all things.” This refers to the belongings of infidels, taken as loot by muslim armies.
- Sahih Bukhari (81:780) – The Prophet said, “The hand should be cut off for stealing something that is worth a quarter of a Dinar or more.” In some parts of the Islamic world, this punishment is still practiced today.
- Ibn Ishaq (503) – “Allah saw what was in their hearts [what they coveted] so he rewarded them with victory and with as much spoil as they could take. Allah promised that they would soon capture a great deal of booty.” (508): “Whenever they heard of a Meccan caravan setting out for Syria, they intercepted it, and killed everyone they could get a hold of…They tore every caravan to pieces and took the goods.”
- Sahih Bukhari (44:668) – “We were in the company of the Prophet at Dhul-Hulaifa. The people felt hungry and captured some camels and sheep (as booty)…” This means Muhammad allowed his army to steal and loot in order to provide for itself.
- Ibn Ishaq (764) – The oldest biography of Muhammad is the “Sirat Rasoul Allah” by Ibn Ishaq. It’s an unending orgy of violence on an epic scale, and presents the prophet as a ruthless warlord. There are many versions, some contested, which makes interpretation difficult. In general, however, Ibn Ishaq is considered to be a reliable narrator of Muhammad’s military expeditions by all schools of Islam. The original translation by Guillaume is in the public domain and can be found, for example here: https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pages/muhammad/Guillaume–Life%20of%20Muhammad.pdf. There is is a more “readable” version found on http://www.usislam.org/pdf/sirat-RasulAllah-Ibn-Ishaq.PDF. The charming tale in chapter 20 documents the torture of a Jewish leader to find the village treasure. Subsequently Muhammad takes his wife as a sex slave. (Sidenote: this story is confirmed by Ibn Kathir in another text) “Sirat Rasoul Allah” by Ibn Ishaq: The apostle occupied the Jewish forts one after the other, taking prisoners as he went. Among these were Safiya, the wife of Kinana, the Khaybar chief, and two female cousins; the apostle chose Safiya for himself. The other prisoners were distributed among the Muslims. Bilal brought Safiya to the apostle, and they passed the bodies of several Jews on the way. Safiya’s female companions lamented and strewed dust on their heads. When the apostle of Allah observed this scene, he said, ‘Remove these she-devils from me’ But he ordered Safiya to remain, and threw his reda [cloak] over her. So the Muslims knew he had reserved her for his own. The apostle reprimanded Bilal, saying, ‘Hast thou lost all feelings of mercy, to make women pass by the corpses of their husbands?’ (…) Kinana, the husband of Safiya, had been guardian of the tribe’s treasures, and he was brought before the apostle, who asked where they were hidden. But Kinana refused to disclose the place. Then a Jew came who said, ‘I have seen Kinana walk around a certain ruin every morning.’ The apostle asked Kinana, ‘Art thou prepared to die if we find thou knewest where the treasure was?’ And he replied, ‘Yes.’ So the apostle ordered the ruin to be dug up, and some of the treasure was found. After that Kinana was asked again about the remainder, but he still refused to tell. The apostle of Allah handed him over to al-Zubayr, saying, ‘Torture him until he tells what he knows’, and al-Zubayr kindled a fire on his chest so that he almost expired; then the apostle gave him to Muhammad b. Maslama, who struck off his head.
D. Lying (I highly recommend the section on “lying”, a part of the “Sharia” page on thereligionofpeace.com, for an overview of the opinions about truth and lies in the Islamic world.)
- Quran (3:28) – “Let not believers take disbelievers as allies rather than believers. And whoever [of you] does that has nothing with Allah, except when taking precaution against them in prudence. And Allah warns you of Himself, and to Allah is the [final] destination.” This verse instructs muslims not to take non-muslims as friends, unless it is necessary to avoid persecution.
- Quran (9:3) – “…Allah and His Messenger are free from liability to the idolaters…” Interpretation: Muhammad can lie to infidels all he wants.
- Quran (40:28) – A man had to hide is identity as muslim.
- Quran (2:225) – “Allah will not call you to account for thoughtlessness in your oaths, but for the intention in your hearts”
- Quran (3:54) – “And they (the disbelievers) schemed, and Allah schemed (against them): and Allah is the best of schemers.”
- Sahih Bukhari (52:269) – “The Prophet said, ‘War is deceit.'” Context: the murder of unarmed enemies who were given safe passage.
- Sahih Bukhari (49:857) – “He who makes peace between the people by inventing good information or saying good things, is not a liar.” White” lies are encouraged in Islam
- Sahih Bukhari (84:64-65) – Ali says lying is permitted in war.
- Sahih Muslim (32:6303) – “…he did not hear that exemption was granted in anything what the people speak as lie but in three cases: in battle, for bringing reconciliation amongst persons and the narration of the words of the husband to his wife, and the narration of the words of a wife to her husband.”
- Sahih Bukhari (50:369) – Muhammad’s soldiers use deceit to murder a poet who criticised Islam.
- From Islamic Law:
Reliance of the Traveler (p. 746 – 8.2) – “Speaking is a means to achieve objectives. If a praiseworthy aim is attainable through both telling the truth and lying, it is unlawful to accomplish through lying because there is no need for it. When it is possible to achieve such an aim by lying but not by telling the truth, it is permissible to lie if attaining the goal is permissible (N:i.e. when the purpose of lying is to circumvent someone who is preventing one from doing something permissible), and obligatory to lie if the goal is obligatory… it is religiously precautionary in all cases to employ words that give a misleading impression… From Islamic Law: “One should compare the bad consequences entailed by lying to those entailed by telling the truth, and if the consequences of telling the truth are more damaging, one is entitled to lie.”(See the excellent “Permissible Lying” section on the Sharia page of “thereligionofpeace.com” for more)
- The “treaty of Hudaybiyah” is an interesting cautionary tale about deceit by Muslims. The Quraysh tribe of Mecca made a peace treaty with the Muslims in Medina, to end the bloody struggle between them. There were two important conditions: the two groups and their allies would stop attacking and murdering their enemies, and converts to Islam who fled Medina to Mecca had to be returned. Afterwards, three important events occurred. The original text (Bukhari 50:891) is quite long, so I will summarise it here: 1. A muslim convert (Abu Basir) fled from Mecca to Medina. Muhammad followed the treaty, and sent him back to Mecca with the Quraysh. But Abu Basir killed his Quraysh captors (a first violation of the treaty), and then fled to a coastal region where he gathered a small Muslim army and organised raids against Meccan caravans, murdering members of the Quraysh tribe (second violation of the treaty). The Quraysh wrote to Muhammad asking him to stop these attacks, but they did not declare war. 2. Some Muslim converts came to Medina, but Muhammad did not send them all back. (A third violation of the treaty.)3. After all this had happened, an allied tribe of the Quraysh (Banu Bakr) killed members of a tribe allied to the Muslims (Kuza’a). This was clearly a violation of the treaty, and this time by the Quraysh. The Quraysh were anxious to avoid war, and sent emissaries to offer compensation and a petition to maintain the peace. However, Muhammad’s army had grown in strength and he felt his time had come. The Muslims marched on Mecca and captured it, executing some of the leaders of the Quraysh tribe.So, in conclusion: after three clear violations of the peace treaty by muslims, the Quraysh still wanted peace. When afterwards an allied tribe – beyond the direct control of the Quraysh – violated the treaty, Muhammad immediately declared total war. It is clear to all that Muhammad had made the truce so he could gather strength for the final blow. When he was in a position of strength, he used the first opportunity to conquer his enemies. Muslims try to “whitewash” this event by ignoring the clear violations by the Muslims in the Sahih Bukhari, or by simply arguing that Muhammad was in his divine right to deceive the infidels. This latter argument is of course still used by radical clerics and terrorists worldwide, and is the reason why treaties and pacts with traditional Muslims are worthless.
- Sahih Bukhari (Volume 005, Book 059, Hadith Number 369). Synopsis: Muhammad orders the assassination of a poet who composed verses insulting Islam. His killers use deceit to approach their victim.
Narrated By Jabir bin Abdullah: Allah’s Apostle said, “Who is willing to kill Ka’b bin Al-Ashraf who has hurt Allah and His Apostle?” Thereupon Muhammad bin Maslama got up saying, “O Allah’s Apostle! Would you like that I kill him?” The Prophet said, “Yes,” Muhammad bin Maslama said, “Then allow me to say a (false) thing (i.e. to deceive Kab).The Prophet said, “You may say it.” Then Muhammad bin Maslama went to Kab and said, “That man (i.e. Muhammad demands Sadaqa (i.e. Zakat) from us, and he has troubled us, and I have come to borrow something from you.” On that, Kab said, “By Allah, you will get tired of him!” Muhammad bin Maslama said, “Now as we have followed him, we do not want to leave him unless and until we see how his end is going to be. Now we want you to lend us a camel load or two of food.” (Some difference between narrators about a camel load or two.) Kab said, “Yes, (I will lend you), but you should mortgage something to me.” Muhammad bin Mas-lama and his companion said, “What do you want?” Ka’b replied, “Mortgage your women to me.” They said, “How can we mortgage our women to you and you are the most handsome of the ‘Arabs?” Ka’b said, “Then mortgage your sons to me.” They said, “How can we mortgage our sons to you? Later they would be abused by the people’s saying that so-and-so has been mortgaged for a camel load of food. That would cause us great disgrace, but we will mortgage our arms to you.” Muhammad bin Maslama and his companion promised Kab that Muhammad would return to him. He came to Kab at night along with Kab’s foster brother, Abu Na’ila. Kab invited them to come into his fort, and then he went down to them. His wife asked him, “Where are you going at this time?” Kab replied, “None but Muhammad bin Maslama and my (foster) brother Abu Na’ila have come.” His wife said, “I hear a voice as if dropping blood is from him, Ka’b said.They are none but my brother Muhammad bin Maslama and my foster brother Abu Naila. A generous man should respond to a call at night even if invited to be killed.” Muhammad bin Maslama went with two men. (Some narrators mention the men as ‘Abu bin Jabr. Al Harith bin Aus and Abbad bin Bishr). So Muhammad bin Maslama went in together with two men, and sail to them, “When Ka’b comes, I will touch his hair and smell it, and when you see that I have got hold of his head, strip him. I will let you smell his head.” Kab bin Al-Ashraf came down to them wrapped in his clothes, and diffusing perfume. Muhammad bin Maslama said. I have never smelt a better scent than this. Ka’b replied. “I have got the best ‘Arab women who know how to use the high class of perfume.” Muhammad bin Maslama requested Ka’b “Will you allow me to smell your head?” Ka’b said, “Yes.” Muhammad smelt it and made his companions smell it as well. Then he requested Ka’b again, “Will you let me (smell your head)?” Ka’b said, “Yes.” When Muhammad got a strong hold of him, he said (to his companions), “Get at him!” So they killed him and went to the Prophet and informed him. (Abu Rafi) was killed after Ka’b bin Al-Ashraf.”
- Ibn Ishaq (981), Ibn Kathir (v.4 p.300): Muhammad gives members of an opposing tribe safe passage, then kills them all.
- Quran (9:5) “But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practice regular charity, then open the way for them…”. This is the famous “verse of the sword” .
- Ibn Ishaq (503) – “Allah saw what was in their hearts [what they coveted] so he rewarded them with victory and with as much spoil as they could take. Allah promised that they would soon capture a great deal of booty.” 508: “Whenever they heard of a Meccan caravan setting out for Syria, they intercepted it, and killed everyone they could get a hold of…They tore every caravan to pieces and took the goods.”)
- Abu Dawud Book 033, Hadith Number 4390.
Narated By Atiyyah al-Qurazi : I was among the captives of Banu Qurayzah. They (the Companions) examined us, and those who had begun to grow hair (pubes) were killed, and those who had not were not killed. I was among those who had not grown hair.
- Reliance of the Traveller (Islamic Law) o8.1 – “When a person who has reached puberty and is sane voluntarily apostatizes from Islam, he deserves to be killed.” (o8.4 affirms that there is no penalty for killing an apostate). (Source: “thereligionofpeace.com”)
- Quran (5:33) “Indeed, the penalty for those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and strive upon earth [to cause] corruption is none but that they be killed or crucified or that their hands and feet be cut off from opposite sides or that they be exiled from the land. That is for them a disgrace in this world; and for them in the Hereafter is a great punishment.”
- Quran (2:216) – “Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not.”
- Quran (8:12) – “I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them.”
- Quran (8:15) – “O ye who believe! When ye meet those who disbelieve in battle, turn not your backs to them. (16)Whoso on that day turneth his back to them, unless maneuvering for battle or intent to join a company, he truly hath incurred wrath from Allah, and his habitation will be hell, a hapless journey’s end.”
- Quran (48:29) – “Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. And those with him are hard (ruthless) against the disbelievers and merciful among themselves”
- Quran (61:4) – “Surely Allah loves those who fight in His cause”
- Quran (61:10-12) – “O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a commerce that will save you from a painful torment. That you believe in Allah and His Messenger (Muhammad), and that you strive hard and fight in the Cause of Allah with your wealth and your lives, that will be better for you, if you but know! (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwelling in Gardens of’Adn- Eternity [‘Adn(Edn) Paradise], that is indeed the great success.”
- Quran (66:9) – “O Prophet! Strive against the disbelievers and the hypocrites, and be stern with them. Hell will be their home, a hapless journey’s end.” The root word of “Jihad” is used again here. The context is clearly holy war, and the scope of violence is broadened to include “hypocrites” – those who call themselves Muslims but do not act as such. Other verses calling Muslims to Jihad can be found at AnsweringIslam.org (the source of this quote).
- Muslim (1:149) Abu Dharr reported: I said: Messenger of Allah, which of the deeds is the best? He (the Holy Prophet) replied: Belief in Allah and Jihad in His cause (…).
- Sahih Bukhari (59:643) – Friendly words by one of Muhammad’s generals during an expedition: “Testify that none has the right to be worshipped except Allah, or else I will chop off your neck!”
- (Ibn Ishaq/Hisham 451) -” Then I cut off his head and brought it to the apostle saying, “This is the head of the enemy of Allah, Abu Jahl.”… I threw his head before the apostle and he gave thanks to Allah. “
Torture of prisoners:
- Ibn Ishaq 734 – “So the apostle called Burayra to ask her, and Ali got up and gave her a violent beating, saying “’Tell the Apostle the truth.’” In this fragment, one of Muhammad’s followers beats a slave girl in front of the prophet.
- Sahih Bukhari (52:261) – Context: the execution of two criminals: “[Muhammad] had their hands and feet cut off. Then he ordered for nails which were heated and passed over their eyes, and whey were left in the Harra (i.e. rocky land in Medina). They asked for water, and nobody provided them with water till they died.” (See also Sahih Bukhari 4:234) and Sahih Muslim (16:4131): “They were caught and brought to him (the Holy Prophet). He commanded about them, and (thus) hands and feet were cut off and their eyes were gouged and then they were thrown in the sun, until they died.”)
- Quran (24:2) – “The woman and the man guilty of adultery or fornication,- flog each of them with a hundred stripes: Let not compassion move you.”
Responding to violence
- Quran 2:194“… . So whoever has assaulted you, then assault him in the same way that he has assaulted you. And fear Allah and know that Allah is with those who fear Him.”
- Quran (5:33) “The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides…”
Armed defence of places of worship
- Quran 4:102 Summary: Muslims are encouraged to arm themselves in their mosques. And when you are among them and lead them in prayer, let a group of them stand [in prayer] with you and let them carry their arms. And when they have prostrated, let them be [in position] behind you and have the other group come forward which has not [yet] prayed and let them pray with you, taking precaution and carrying their arms. Those who disbelieve wish that you would neglect your weapons and your baggage so they could come down upon you in one [single] attack. But there is no blame upon you, if you are troubled by rain or are ill, for putting down your arms, but take precaution. Indeed, Allah has prepared for the disbelievers a humiliating punishment.
- Reliance of the traveller: (o1.2) – The following are not subject to retaliation: … -4- a father or mother (or their fathers or mothers) for killing their offspring or offspring’s offspring. (Text copied from “thereligionofpeace.com”)
F. Pedophilia, forced marriage, rape
- Sahih Muslim Book 008, Hadith Number 3309.
Summary: A father can give away his underage daughter to be married.
‘Aisha (Allah be pleased with her) reported: Allah’s Messenger (May peace be upon him) married me when I was six years old, and I was admitted to his house at the age of nine. She further said: We went to Medina and I had an attack of fever for a month, and my hair had come down to the earlobes. Umm Ruman (my mother) came to me and I was at that time on a swing along with my playmates. She called me loudly and I went to her and I did not know what she had wanted of me. She took hold of my hand and took me to the door, and I was saying: Ha, ha (as if I was gasping), until the agitation of my heart was over. She took me to a house, where had gathered the women of the Ansar. They all blessed me and wished me good luck and said: May you have share in good. She (my mother) entrusted me to them. They washed my head and embellished me and nothing frightened me. Allah’s Messenger (, May peace be upon him) came there in the morning, and I was entrusted to him.
- Quran (2:223) – “Your wives are as a tilth unto you; so approach your tilth when or how ye will…” Guess what that means.
- Quran (24:4) – “And those who accuse free women then do not bring four witnesses, flog them…” Strictly speaking, this verse addresses adultery (revealed at the very time that Muhammad’s favorite wife was being accused of adultery on the basis of only three witnesses coincidentally enough). However it is a part of the theological underpinning of the Sharia rule on rape, since strict Islamic law does not recognize rape if there are not four male witnesses or a confession. (Interpretation by “thereligionofpeace.com”)
- Quran (24:13) – “Why did they not bring four witnesses of it? But as they have not brought witnesses they are liars before Allah.”
- Sahih Bukhari (5:59:462) – When three witnesses told Muhammad that his favorite wife (Aisha) had cheated on him, he promptly established the rule that four witnesses were required. Since then, adultery requires four witnesses in Islamic tradition.
- Quran (7:80-84) – “…For ye practice your lusts on men in preference to women: ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds…. And we rained down on them a shower (of brimstone)”
- Quran (7:81) – “Will ye commit abomination such as no creature ever did before you?” This verse is part of the previous text and it establishes that homosexuality as different from (and much worse than) adultery or other sexual sin. According to the Arabic grammar, homosexuality is called the worst sin, while references elsewhere describe other forms of non-marital sex as being “among great sins.” (Interpretation by “thereligionofpeace.com”)
- Abu Dawud (4448) – “If a man who is not married is seized committing sodomy, he will be stoned to death.”
- Quran (16:71) – I wonder what die-hard socialists will think of this verse about redistribution. “Allah has bestowed His gifts of sustenance more freely on some of you than on others: those more favored are not going to throw back their gifts to those whom their right hands possess, so as to be equal in that respect. Will they then deny the favors of Allah?”
- Quran (42:30) – “Whatever misfortune happens to you, is because on the things your hands have wrought” In other words: if disaster strikes, it’s your own fault.
- Reliance of the Traveller (Sharia) – “It is not permissible to give zakat (charity, alms) to a non-Muslim” (h8.24). The same text goes on to list the legitimate targets of charity, which include “those fighting for Allah, meaning people engaged in Islamic military operations.” (Interpretation by “thereligionofpeace.com”)
- al-Tabarani, Hasan – “The most beloved of deeds according to Allah the Mighty, the Magnificent, is that you bring happiness to a fellow Muslim, or relieve him of distress, or pay off his debt or stave away hunger from him.” So helping other Muslims is a good deed. This is in contrast to Christianity (See: good Samaritan) where helping others, even if they are from another faith, is encouraged.
I. Relations with unbelievers
- Quran (28:86) – “Never be a helper to the unbelievers.”
- Quran (48:29) – Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. And those with him are hard (ruthless) against the disbelievers and merciful among themselves
- Quran (5:51) – “O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people.”
- Abu Dawud (41:4832) – The Messenger of Allah [said] “Do not keep company with anyone but a believer and do not let anyone eat your food but one who is pious.”
- The following hadith became a part of the charter of Hamas (this Hadith is Sahih: authentic!). “The Day of Judgement will not come about until Muslims fight the Jews, when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say O Muslims, O Abdullah, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him. Only the Gharkad tree, (the Boxthorn tree) would not do that because it is one of the trees of the Jews.” This verse is found in Sahih Muslim, 41:6985, and also Sahih Muslim, 41:6981, Sahih Muslim, 41:6982, Sahih Muslim, 41:6983, Sahih Muslim, 41:6984, Sahih al-Bukhari, 4:56:791, Sahih al-Bukhari, 4:52:177.
- Quran, (sura 2.221). And do not marry Al-Mushrikat (idolatresses, etc.) till they believe (worship Allah Alone). And indeed a slave woman who believes is better than a (free) Mushrikah (idolatress, etc.), even though she pleases you. And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al-Mushrikun till they believe (in Allah Alone) and verily, a believing slave is better than a (free) Mushrik (idolater, etc.), even though he pleases you. Those (Al-Mushrikun) invite you to the Fire, but Allah invites (you) to Paradise and Forgiveness by His Leave, and makes His Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) clear to mankind that they may remember.
J. Slavery, slave trade, forced sex
- (Quran 8:41): “And know that anything you obtain of war booty – then indeed, for Allah is one fifth of it and for the Messenger and for [his] near relatives and the orphans, the needy, and the [stranded] traveler, if you have believed in Allah and in that which We sent down to Our Servant on the day of criterion – the day when the two armies met. And Allah, over all things, is competent.” Muhammad wants a fifth of all the war booty. He’s supposed to spend it to help the needy. This means the Quran actually contains a taxation and redistribution system for spoils of war!
- Sahih Muslim (Book 010, Hadith Number 3901.)
Jabir (Allah be pleased with him) reported: There came a slave and pledged allegiance to Allah’s Apostle (may peace be upon him) on migration; he (the Holy Prophet) did not know that he was a slave. Then there came his master and demanded him back, whereupon Allah’s Apostle (may peace be upon him) said: Sell him to me. And he bought him for two black slaves, and he did not afterwards take allegiance from anyone until he had asked him whether he was a slave (or a free man).
- Bukhari (47:743) The Prophet sent for a woman from the emigrants and she had a slave who was a carpenter. The Prophet said to her “Order your slave to prepare the wood (pieces) for the pulpit.” So, she ordered her slave who went and cut the wood from the tamarisk and prepared the pulpit, for the Prophet. When he finished the pulpit, the woman informed the Prophet that it had been finished. The Prophet asked her to send that pulpit to him, so they brought it. The Prophet lifted it and placed it at the place in which you see now.”
- Quran (33:50) – “O Prophet! We have made lawful to thee thy wives to whom thou hast paid their dowers; and those (slaves) whom thy right hand possesses out of the prisoners of war whom Allah has assigned to thee”
- Quran (23:5-6) – “..who abstain from sex, except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or (the captives) whom their right hands possess…” This verse permits the slave-owner to have sex with his slaves. See also Quran (70:29-30). The Quran mentions sex-slavery multiple times.
- Quran (4:24) – “And all married women (are forbidden unto you) save those (captives) whom your right hands possess.” (note: “what your right hand possesses” in the context of human beings means slaves).
- Quran (8:69) – “But (now) enjoy what ye took in war, lawful and good”
- Quran (24:32) – “And marry those among you who are single and those who are fit among your male slaves and your female slaves…” Tips on how to optimally breed slaves.
- Quran (2:178) – Humans are not equal: Original text: “O ye who believe! Retaliation is prescribed for you in the matter of the murdered; the freeman for the freeman, and the slave for the slave, and the female for the female.”
- Quran (16:75) – “Allah sets forth the Parable (of two men: one) a slave under the dominion of another; He has no power of any sort; and (the other) a man on whom We have bestowed goodly favours from Ourselves, and he spends thereof (freely), privately and publicly: are the two equal? (By no means;) praise be to Allah.’ People are not meant to be equal according to the Quran.
- Sahih Bukhari (80:753) – “The Prophet said, ‘The freed slave belongs to the people who have freed him.'”
- Sahih Bukhari (52:255) – A muslim slave will get a double reward in heaven, if he remains a slave.
- Sahih Bukhari (41.598) – Muhammad trades a slave.
- Sahih Bukhari (62:137) – About raping slaves (this hadith is about the same story as reference 86)..
- Sahih Bukhari (34:432) – In this unsettling story some soldiers ask Muhammad if they can have sex with their slaves by coitus interruptus (to prevent them becoming pregnant and thus lowering their value): Original text: (…) That while he was sitting with Allah’s Apostle he said, “O Allah’s Apostle! We get female captives as our share of booty, and we are interested in their prices, what is your opinion about coitus interruptus?” The Prophet said, “Do you really do that? It is better for you not to do it. No soul that which Allah has destined to exist, but will surely come into existence.
- Sahih Bukhari (47.765) – Muhammad tells a woman it’s better to give a slave to a relative than freeing him.
- Sahih Bukhari (34:351) – Muhammad sells slaves. Original text: A man decided that a slave of his would be manumitted after his death and later on he was in need of money, so the Prophet took the slave and said, “Who will buy this slave from me?” Nu’aim bin ‘Abdullah bought him for such and such price and the Prophet gave him the slave.
- Sahih Bukhari (72:734) – A reference is made to Muhammad owning slaves.
- Sahih Muslim 3901 – Muhammad values white slaves more than black slaves: Original text from hadithcollection.com: Jabir (Allah be pleased with him) reported: There came a slave and pledged allegiance to Allah’s Apostle (may peace be upon him) on migration; he (the Holy Prophet) did not know that he was a slave. Then there came his master and demanded him back, whereupon Allah’s Apostle (may peace be upon him) said: Sell him to me. And he bought him for two black slaves, and he did not afterwards take allegiance from anyone until he had asked him whether he was a slave (or a free man).
- Sahih Muslim 4345 – An account about Muhammad’s followers taking sex-slaves after slaughtering an enemy tribe. Original text from “hadithcollection.com”: Chapter : Additional award to the fighters and repatriation of the enemy prisoners as a ransom for the Muslims. It has been narrated on the authority of Salama (b. al-Akwa’) who said: We fought against the Fazara and Abu Bakr was the commander over us. He had been appointed by the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him). When we were only at an hour’s distance from the water of the enemy, Abu Bakr ordered us to attack. We made a halt during the last part of the night to rest and then we attacked from all sides and reached their watering-place where a battle was fought. Some of the enemies were killed and some were taken prisoners. I saw a group of persons that consisted of women and children. I was afraid lest they should reach the mountain before me, so I shot an arrow between them and the mountain. When they saw the arrow, they stopped. So I brought them, driving them along. Among them was a woman from Banu Fazara. She was wearing a leather coat. With her was her daughter who was one of the prettiest girls in Arabia. I drove them along until I brought them to Abu Bakr who bestowed that girl upon me as a prize. So we arrived in Medina. I had not yet disrobed her when the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) met me in the street and said: Give me that girl, O Salama. I said: Messenger of Allah, she has fascinated me. I had not yet disrobed her. When on the next day, the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) again met me in the street, he said: O Salama, give me that girl, may God bless your father. I said: She is for you. Messenger of Allah ! By Allah. I have not yet disrobed her. The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) sent her to the people of Mecca, and surrendered her as ransom for a number of Muslims who had been kept as prisoners at Mecca.
- Sahih Muslim (4112 ) – A man freed six slaves when he died, but Muhammad kept four of them.
- Sahih Bukhari (47:743) – Muhammad had a pulpit that was made by slave labour.
- Sahih Bukhari (59:637) – In this romantic story a certain Khalid is jealous because Ali gets to have sex with a slave girl. Muhammad responds that Alis “deserves (even) more than that”. Original text: The Prophet sent Ali to Khalid to bring the Khums (= the fifht of the booty) and I hated Ali, and Ali had taken a bath (after a sexual act with a slave-girl from the Khums). I said to Khalid, ‘Don’t you see this (i.e. Ali)?’ When we reached the Prophet I mentioned that to him. He said, ‘O Buraida! Do you hate Ali?’ I said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘Do you hate him, for he deserves more than that from the Khums.'”
- Abu Dawud (1814) – “…[Abu Bakr] He then began to beat [his slave] him while the Apostle of Allah (pbuh) was smiling and saying: Look at this man who is in the sacred state (putting on ihram), what is he doing?” Muhammad smiles while his disciple beats a slave girl.
- Ibn Ishaq (734) – Another Hadith about a slave girl being beaten in front of the prophet.
- Abu Dawud 38:4458 – Narrated Ali ibn AbuTalib: Muhammad orders Ali to beat a slave girl until she bleeds.
- Abu Dawud 1:142 – “Do not beat your wife as you beat your slave-girl”
- Ibn Ishaq (693) – “Then the apostle sent Sa-d b. Zayd al-Ansari, brother of Abdu’l-Ashal with some of the captive women of Banu Qurayza to Najd and he sold them for horses and weapons.” Muhammad trades in female slaves.
- Umdat al-Salik (Reliance of the Traveller) (o9.13) – According to Sharia, when a child or woman is taken captive by Muslims, they become slaves by the mere fact of their capture. A captured woman’s previous marriage is immediately annulled. This would not be necessary if she were widowed by battle, which is an imaginary stipulation that modern apologists sometimes pose. (Interpretative text by “thereligionofpeace.com”)
Sexual slavery, rape
- Quran 4:24
This text creates three categories of women: 1. women you want to marry, 2. women you cannot have sex with because you do not want to marry them and 3. slave women (“those that your right hand possesses”) with whom you can have sex as you please. Original text: And [also prohibited to you are all] married women except those your right hands possess. [This is] the decree of Allah upon you. And lawful to you are [all others] beyond these, [provided] that you seek them [in marriage] with [gifts from] your property, desiring chastity, not unlawful sexual intercourse. So for whatever you enjoy [of marriage] from them, give them their due compensation as an obligation. And there is no blame upon you for what you mutually agree to beyond the obligation. Indeed, Allah is ever Knowing and Wise.
- Abu Dawud (2150) – “The Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) sent a military expedition to Awtas on the occasion of the battle of Hunain. They met their enemy and fought with them. They defeated them and took them captives. Some of the Companions of the Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) were reluctant to have intercourse with the female captives in the presence of their husbands who were unbelievers. So Allah, the Exalted, sent down the Qur’anic verse: (Quran 4:24) ‘And all married women (are forbidden) unto you save those (captives) whom your right hands possess.'” This is the background for verse 4:24 of the Quran. Not only does Allah give permission for women to be captured and raped, but allows it to even be done in front of their husbands. (See also Muslim 3432 & Ibn Kathir/Abdul Rahman Part 5 Page 14) (Interpretative text by “thereligionofpeace.com”)
- Quran (2:193) – “And fight them until fitna is no more, and religion be only for Allah. But if they desist, then let there be no hostility except against wrong-doers.”
- Quran (9:29) – “Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.” Suras 9 and 5 are the last major chapters that Muhammad narrated – hence abrogating (see: background information on “abrogation”) what came before, including the oft-quoted verse 2:256 -“There is no compulsion in religion…”. (Interpretation by “thereligionofpeace.com”)
- Quran (9:5) “But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practice regular charity, then open the way for them…”
- Sahih Bukhari (53:392) – “While we were in the Mosque, the Prophet came out and said, “Let us go to the Jews” We went out till we reached Bait-ul-Midras. He said to them, “If you embrace Islam, you will be safe. You should know that the earth belongs to Allah and His Apostle, and I want to expel you from this land. So, if anyone amongst you owns some property, he is permitted to sell it, otherwise you should know that the Earth belongs to Allah and His Apostle.”
- Quran 2:216: Fighting* (holy fighting in Allah’s Cause) is ordained for you (Muslims) though you dislike it, and it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allah knows but you do not know. They ask you concerning fighting in the Sacred Months (i.e. 1st, 7th, 11th and 12th months of the Islamic calendar). Say, “Fighting therein is a great (transgression) but a greater (transgression) with Allah is to prevent mankind from following the Way of Allah, to disbelieve in Him, to prevent access to Al-Masjid-al-Haram (at Makkah), and to drive out its inhabitants, and Al-Fitnah is worse than killing. And they will never cease fighting you until they turn you back from your religion (Islamic Monotheism) if they can. And whosoever of you turns back from his religion and dies as a disbeliever, then his deeds will be lost in this life and in the Hereafter, and they will be the dwellers of the Fire. They will abide therein forever.” * the editor at thereligionofpeace.com notes that this verse uses the unambiguous word for fighting (Qital) and not the word “Jihad” (which can also be interpreted as “inner strife” in certain contexts).
- Sahih Bukhari (52:260) – “…The Prophet said, ‘If somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him.’ ”
- Sahih Bukhari (83:37) – “Allah’s Apostle never killed anyone except in one of the following three situations: (1) A person who killed somebody unjustly, was killed (in Qisas,) (2) a married person who committed illegal sexual intercourse and (3) a man who fought against Allah and His Apostle and deserted Islam and became an apostate.”
- Sahih Bukhari (84:57) – [In the words of] “Allah’s Apostle, ‘Whoever changed his Islamic religion, then kill him.'”
- al-Muwatta of Imam Malik (36.18.15) – “The Messenger of Allah said, “If someone changes his religion – then strike off his head.”
- Reliance of the Traveller (Islamic Law) o8.1 – “When a person who has reached puberty and is sane voluntarily apostatizes from Islam, he deserves to be killed.”
- Quran 5:33 “Indeed, the penalty for those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and strive upon earth [to cause] corruption is none but that they be killed or crucified or that their hands and feet be cut off from opposite sides or that they be exiled from the land. That is for them a disgrace in this world; and for them in the Hereafter is a great punishment.”
- Reliance of the traveller: (o8.4) – There is no indemnity for killing an apostate (since it is killing someone who deserves to die). (Interpretation by “thereligionofpeace.com”).
Acts that define “leaving Islam” and being subject to execution are listed in o8.7. They include:
-2- to intend to commit unbelief, even if in the future
-3- to deny the existence of Allah… or any of his attributes
-6- to be sarcastic about Allah’s name, his command, his interdiction… or his threat
-7- to deny any verse of the Quran
-8- to mockingly say, “I don’t know what faith is”
-17- to believe that things in themselves or by their own nature have any causal influence independent of the will of Allah
- Sahih Muslim (Book 019, Hadith Number 4413).
Chapter : The battle of Uhud.
Summary: Muhammad sends his bodyguards to their deaths in order to save himself.
It has been reported on the authority of Anas b. Malik that (when the enemy got the upper hand) on the day of the Battle of Uhud, the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) was left with only seven men from the ansar and two men from the Quraish. When the enemy advanced towards him and overwhelmed him, he said: Whoso turns them away from us will attain Paradise or will be my Companion in Paradise. A man from the Ansar came forward and fought (the enemy) until he was killed. The enemy advanced and overwhelmed him again and he repeated the words: Whoso turns them away, from us will attain Paradise or will be my Companion in Paradise. A man from the Arsar came forward and fought until he was killed. This state continued until the seven Ansar were killed (one after the other). Now, the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said to his two Companions: We have not done justice to our Companions.
- Quran (4:74) – “Let those fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other. Whoso fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him We shall bestow a vast reward.” In this verse, the Quran clearly promises a reward to muslims who die in battle for their faith.
- Sahih Muslim (19:4450) – Context: Amir gets killed by an infidel during combat. “So I came to the Prophet weeping and I said: Messenger of Allah. Amir’s deed has been wasted. The Messenger said: Who passed this remark? I said: Some of your Companions. He said: He who has passed that remark has told a lie, for ‘Amir there is a double reward.”
- Sahih Muslim (20:4681) – The words of a young man about to die in battle for Islam: “Surely, the gates of Paradise are under the shadows of the swords.”
- Jami’ At-Tirmidhi, (Vol. 3, No. 1663, p. 410) – Al-Miqdam bin Ma’diykarib narrated that the Messenger of Allah said: “There are six things with Allah for the martyr… he is married to seventy-two wives among Al-Huril-‘Ayn [virgins] of Paradise…”
- Sunan Ibn Majah – The Messenger of Allah said, “There is no one whom Allah will admit to Paradise but Allah will marry him to seventy-two wives, two from houris and seventy from his inheritance from the people of Hell, all of whom will have desirable front passages and he will have a male member that never becomes flaccid (i.e., soft and limp).” Beware: This is (thankfully!) a Hadith with weak reliability according to the TROP editor.
M. Quranic reform:
- Quran (33:36) – “It is not fitting for a Believer, man or woman, when a matter has been decided by Allah and His Messenger to have any option about their decision.” This makes reform of Islam from within quite difficult.
N. Democracy/ law:
- Quran (4:59) – “O you who believe! Obey Allah and obey the Messenger and those in authority from among you…” (= the clerics).
- Quran (12:40) – “…Allah hath sent down no authority: the command is for none but Allah…” This verse is sometimes used to prove that Sharia law is more important than secular law.
- Quran (33:59) – “Tell thy wives and thy daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them…”
- Quran (24:31) – This verse explains how women should behave. Say goodbye to that bikini! : “And say to the believing women that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts and do not display their ornaments except what appears thereof, and let them wear their head-coverings over their bosoms, and not display their ornaments except to their husbands or their fathers, or the fathers of their husbands, or their sons, or the sons of their husbands, or their brothers, or their brothers’ sons, or their sisters’ sons, or their women, or those whom their right hands possess, or the male servants not having need (of women), or the children who have not attained knowledge of what is hidden of women; and let them not strike their feet so that what they hide of their ornaments may be known.”
- Quran (33:55) – “It shall be no crime in them as to their fathers, or their sons, or their brothers, or their brothers’ sons, or their sisters’ sons, or their woman, or the slaves which their right hands possess, if they speak to them unveiled” Interpretation: A woman may go about without a veil, but only among family and slaves.
P. Respect for women, divorce
- Quran (4:11) “The male shall have the equal of the portion of two females” (when talking about inheritance).
- Quran (2:282) -“And call to witness, from among your men, two witnesses. And if two men be not found then a man and two women.” (context: testifying in court)
- Quran (2:228) – “and the men are a degree above them (i.e.: women)”
- Quran (5:6) – “And if ye are unclean, purify yourselves. And if ye are sick or on a journey, or one of you cometh from the closet, or ye have had contact with women, and ye find not water, then go to clean, high ground and rub your faces and your hands with some of it” Even after having casual contact with a woman (touching them), men have to clean themselves, if necessary with dust. This explains the behaviour of some muslim immigrants who refuse to shake hands with teachers or coworkers (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/25/switzerland-ruling-overturns-muslim-pupils-handshake-exemption-religion).
- Quran (24:31) – Women are to lower their gaze around men, so they do not look them in the eye. (To be fair, men are told to do the same thing in the prior verse). (Interpretation by “thereligionofpeace.com”)
- Ishaq 593 – “From the captives of Hunayn, Allah’s Messenger gave [his son-in-law] Ali a slave girl called Baytab and he gave [future Caliph] Uthman a slave girl called Zaynab and [future Caliph] Umar another.”
- Quran (4:34) – “Men are in charge of women, because Allah hath made the one of them to excel the other, and because they spend of their property (for the support of women). So good women are the obedient, guarding in secret that which Allah hath guarded. As for those from whom ye fear rebellion, admonish them and banish them to beds apart, and scourge them. Then if they obey you, seek not a way against them.”
- Sahih Bukhari (2:28) (also 6:301) – Muhammad says most inhabitants of Hell are women: The Prophet said: “I was shown the Hell-fire and that the majority of its dwellers were women who were ungrateful.” It was asked, “Do they disbelieve in Allah?” (or are they ungrateful to Allah?) He replied, “They are ungrateful to their husbands and are ungrateful for the favors and the good (charitable deeds) done to them. If you have always been good (benevolent) to one of them and then she sees something in you (not of her liking), she will say, ‘I have never received any good from you.”
- Sahih Bukhari (72:715) – A woman seeks Muhammad’s help in leaving her marriage but is ordered by the prophet to return to her husband and do as he commands.
- Can a Muslim man divorce his wife simply by repeating “I divorce you” three times? Yes. It is a controversial practice called the talaq or “triple-talaq.” Anytime a wife is not menstruating, a husband may divorce her by saying, “I divorce you, I divorce you, I divorce you,” effectively throwing her out on the street and leaving him free to obtain a new wife. Sahih Muslim (9:3493) – This is one of several hadith in which it is clear that Muhammad practiced the triple “talaq” and approved of his followers doing the same: Abu al-Sahba’ said to Ibn ‘Abbas: Enlighten us with your information whether the three divorces (pronounced at one and the same time) were not treated as one during the lifetime of Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) and Abu Bakr. He said: It was in fact so, but when during the caliphate of ‘Umar (Allah be pleased with him) people began to pronounce divorce frequently, he allowed them to do so (to treat pronouncements of three divorces in a single breath as one). (Interpretation copied from “thereligionofpeace.com”). Note: the triple Talaq is still practiced in some devout muslim communities. It was deemed unconstitutional in India in 2017(!!!) , a move which caused some backlash in conservative circles.
- Sahih Bukhari (6:301) – “[Muhammad] said, ‘Is not the evidence of two women equal to the witness of one man?’ They replied in the affirmative. He said, ‘This is the deficiency in her intelligence.'”
- Sahih Bukhari (6:301) – continued – “[Muhammad said] ‘Isn’t it true that a woman can neither pray nor fast during her menses?’ The women replied in the affirmative. He said, ‘This is the deficiency in her religion.'”
- Quran (4:34) – “Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great.” According to the editors at thereligionofpeace.com, contemporary translations sometimes water down the word ‘beat’, but it is the same one used in verse 8:12 and clearly means ‘to strike’.
- Quran (38:44) – “And take in your hand a green branch and beat her with it, and do not break your oath…” In this verse Allah tells Job how to beat his wife.
- Quran (4:3) – “Marry of the women, who seem good to you, two or three or four; and if ye fear that ye cannot do justice (to so many) then one (only) or (the captives) that your right hands possess.” This verse allows a man to have four wives. Muhammad himself was allowed to have even more.
(from “reliance of the traveller”, source: “thereligionofpeace.com”)
- m3.4 – 3.7 say that a woman may not “conduct her own marriage”, meaning that she is not free to marry by choice. A male guardian is required to validate the marriage agreement.
- m3.8 says that a woman is not free to choose her guardian. It is assigned by family relation. Once she is married, she becomes the charge of her husband’s guardianship.
- A Muslim woman may not marry a non-Muslim man (Quran 2:221:) “And do not marry polytheistic men [to your women] until they believe.”
- (m13.4) – A woman has no right to custody of her children from a previous marriage when she remarries.
- (m5.1) – It is obligatory for a woman to let her husband have sex with her immediately when he asks her… and she can physically endure it.
- (m10.11-2) – It is not lawful for a wife to leave the house except by the permission of her husband.
- (m10.11) – When a husband notices signs of rebelliousness in his wife, he warns her in words. If she commits rebelliousness, he keeps from sleeping with her without words, and may hit her, but not in a way that injures her, meaning he may not break bones, wound her, or cause blood to flow.
- (o4.9) – The indemnity for the death or injury of a woman is one-half the indemnity paid for a man.
Q. Religious taxing
- Quran (9:29) – “Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.”
R. Art and music
(From “reliance of the traveller as interpreted by “thereligionofpeace.com”)
- r40.1 says that musical instruments are condemned.
- (r40.3) – One should know that singing or listening to singing is offensive (with the exception of songs that encourage piety). See also: A quote from Ayatollah Khamenei of Iran: “It’s better that our dear youth spend their valuable time in learning science and essential and useful skills and fill their time with sport and healthy recreations instead of music.” (theGuardian, monday 2 august 2010).
- (p44.1) – Every maker of pictures will go to the fire, where a being will be set upon him for each picture he made, to torment him in hell
- (w50.2) – Pictures imitate the creative act of Allah (when they are of animate beings).
- (o17.9) – It is unlawful to decorate walls with pictures (generally interpreted as pictures of animate beings).
S. Camel urine… as medicine?
- Sahih Bukhari 8:82:794: Narrated Anas:Some people from the tribe of ‘Ukl came to the Prophet and embraced Islam. The climate of Medina did not suit them, so the Prophet ordered them to go to the (herd of milch) camels of charity and to drink, their milk and urine (as a medicine).
T. Respecting other religions
- Sahih Bukhari Volume 3, Book 34, Number 425: Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah’s Apostle said, “By Him in Whose Hands my soul is, son of Mary (Jesus) will shortly descend amongst you people (Muslims) as a just ruler and will break the Cross and kill the pig and abolish the Jizya (a tax taken from the non-Muslims, who are in the protection, of the Muslim government). Then there will be abundance of money and no-body will accept charitable gifts. Note: according to some Hadiths, “abolishing the Jizya” means: convert to Islam or die.
- Hadith (quote or sayings) of Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, narrated by his wife Aisha, may Allah be pleased with her: “Two religions shall not coexist in the Land of Arabs” as transmitted by Imam Ahmed Ibn Hanbal in his book al-Musannad and corrected by many scholars. Interpretation by fundamentalist muslims (retrieved from “coptic solidarity”): “Based on this, scholars have agreed on banning the construction of all temples of infidels such as churches, monasteries, synagogues and fire temples in the Land of Islam. In addition, it is stipulated that no two tribes must live in the same land and that all rites of blasphemy are forbidden. The building of modern churches is considered among the greatest sins as confirmed by the writings of Islamic scholars.”